Eligibility and Condition of Entry
- Form 1 to Form 5 Malaysian students from all schools except those using an international syllabus are eligible to enter the Sunway-Oxbridge Essay Competition (hereafter ‘Competition’).
- All entries must be in English and submitted online through the official portal. No written hardcopy submissions will be accepted.
- Submission deadline: 02 April 2019, 1.00pm. Essays received after the deadline will be automatically deemed ineligible.
- By submitting the entry, the participants covenants to the Organisers that:
- The participant is the author of the submitted work;
- The submitted work is original and unpublished;
- He/She has read and agreed to be bound by the terms and conditions of this Competition;
- All the information provided are true and accurate;
- To bear any consequences (including automatically be disqualified from participating in this Competition) in the event of his/her breach of any covenants as set out hereof.
- The intellectual property rights of the submitted essays will be assigned to Sunway Berhad and/or The Oxford and Cambridge Society Malaysia (hereafter ‘Organisers’) and the Organisers reserve the right to reprint the essays in any format without compensation. Appropriate citations will be given to writers.
- In compliance with the Personal Data Protection Act (PDPA) 2010, visit http://sunway.edu.my/pdpa/notice_english for more information on how the Organisers may collect and use the personal information that the participants have provided.
- Category A entries – The minimum word counts are 200 words and maximum words counts are 350 words.
- Category B entries – The minimum word counts are 500 words and maximum words counts are 650 words.
- Any essays that do not meet the minimum word counts will be disqualified.
- Each participant is allowed to submit ONE (1) essay only.
- All essays submitted during the online submission will not be returned.
- Winning entrants are expected to show originality and flair, link to academic standards and competent use of English as a written language. This include a good standard of spelling, grammar and punctuation.
Conditions of Finalists / On-Site Finals
- The Organisers will make every reasonable effort to notify the finalists via e-mail to participate in a sit-down essay competition, which will be held on 25 May 2019 nationwide at nominated location(s), as specified by Sunway.
- Finalists must participate in the sit-down essay competition to be eligible for consideration of either the consolation or top three awards. The selected finalists who do not participate in the sit-down essay competition will be automatically disqualified.
- Finalists are responsible for their own accommodation and travel cost to the nominated location(s).
- All essays submitted during the sit-down essay competition will not be returned.
- Only finalists who attended the sit-down will receive a certificate of participation.
Conditions for Top 26 Winners (13 Winners from Category A, 13 Winners from Category B)
- The Organisers will make every reasonable effort to notify the top 26 winners via email to attend the prize-giving ceremony, which will be held on 27 July 2019 at Sunway University, Bandar Sunway.
- The Organisers reserve the right to request written proof and age of any Competition winner before the prize is dispatched or collected.
- The winner agrees to allow Sunway and its advertising and promotional agencies to publish his/her name and/or photographs and/or winner’s participating photographs and/or essay or any parts thereof without further compensation and notice.
- The Organisers reserve the right to substitute prizes that have an equal or greater monetary value than the prizes offered in the Competition notice. Prizes that remain unclaimed by the winners within 30 working days from the day of the prize-giving ceremony will be forfeited and thereafter, the Organisers shall have no obligation to substitute any alternative prize, cash equivalent or other compensation to the winners.
- In special situations, and subject to the Organisers’ absolute discretion, the Competition winner may nominate a representative to collect the prize on his/her behalf. The representative will be required to present written authorisation from the winner and identification which includes a photograph for both the winner and the representative.
Conditions for Bursary (hereafter ‘Bursary’)
- This Bursary is to be used as tuition fee waiver for any pre-university programmes at Sunway College (KL), Bandar Sunway only.
- This Bursary is subject to the fulfilment of minimum entry requirements of applied programme by the winners.
- This Bursary is not transferable or exchangeable for cash.
- In the event that another bursary or scholarship is awarded to the recipient at Sunway College (KL), the recipient will be entitled to only ONE (1) bursary or scholarship at a time.
- For students who are eligible for several forms of sibling discount or staff discount by Sunway Education Group or Sunway Group, the bursary will be applicable on the net balance of the tuition fee payable after the deduction of the relevant discount.
- The recipient are required to serve fifteen (15) hours of community service to Sunway College (KL).
- The recipient will need to attach the original bursary certificate along with the Application form to Admissions office at Sunway College (KL) to confirm the acceptance of this bursary.
- All bursary recipients will be eligible to utilise the award for enrolment at Sunway College (KL) no later than any of the below intakes:
- July 2020 intake for Form 5 winners
- July 2021 intake for Form 4 winners
- July 2022 intake for Form 3 winners
- July 2023 intake for Form 2 winners
- July 2024 intake for Form 1 winner
- Sunway College (KL) reserves the right to alter, add or delete any of the terms and conditions and bursary scholarship scheme at any time as and when Sunway College (KL) deems necessary.
- Sunway College (KL) reserves the right to involve the bursary recipients in interviews, advertisements, photography or other publicity related activities for the purpose of promoting Sunway College (KL).
– The Organisers will not be responsible or liable for:
I. Any delay and/or failure in participating in this Competition due to any reason beyond the control of the Organisers; or
II. Any injury, loss, problem, damages or costs of any kind suffered resulting from participation in this Competition or in result of accepting or utilising the prizes awarded.
I. Judges’ decision is final and not subject to appeal. No correspondence will be entertained.
II. The Organisers reserve the right to amend, terminate or add on to the terms and conditions at any time by placing a notice at the relevant website or any designated area.